Unique Stone Products
by RDA Enterprises, LLC
4823 N. 132 Street
PO Box 428
Butler, WI 53007
(O)262-783-5848 – (C)414-530-5848
How to finish your Fiberglass Columns
1. Lightly sand columns with 220 grit sandpaper to start. After applying a coat of primer, sand with 400 grit sandpaper and between the first and second paint coats use 600 grit sandpaper. It may be necessary to sand decorative capitals and bases prior to priming and painting. Some cosmetic filling may be required on the columns, capitals and bases.
2. All surfaces must be cleaned prior to painting. Use mineral spirits if oil or alkyd paint products are going to be used. Warm soapy water should is best if latex paint products are to be used. Be sure to rinse and wipe any residue that may be present before applying paint.
3. You should caulk the seams between the cap and column, and between the base and column. Do not caulk the base to the deck (floor), you need the column to breathe and to allow condensation to escape through the bottom. Some carpenters will create “weeps” at the bottom edge of the base. The best caulk to use is a polyurethane caulk. Do not apply the caulk until all of the painting prep is completed, then make sure the area is clean and allow the caulk to set up before applying paint.
4. Alkyd or oil based primer and paint are recommended. Latex products may be used, but additional sanding may be required.
5. Use a good high-quality exterior paint. At least one coat of primer and two coats of final paint are recommended. Ask your local paint retailer for the best products available for your climate.
6. Follow paint manufacturer’s instructions concerning use within temperature ranges for best results. Spray painting is not recommended, use a good quality 3” brush that is made for the type of paint you are going to use.
7. Do not use paint or solvents containing acetone, this can have a negative effect on the fiberglass surface.
8. Use this space to record the dates of preparation and painting
Primer used ______________________________________________________________________________________
Paint used ________________________________________________________________________________________
Copy/Paste then save and file this document for future reference.